Friday, February 13, 2009

What a Week...

Wow.  

This has been one crazy, intense week for movie trailers.  Generally, when movie trailers release they're not really _that_ big of a deal.  However, when one of those trailers happens to be for the yearsinthemaking Quentin Tarintino World War II flick, it sorta shakes things up abit.  Especially when the film looks as mindblowingly good as it does.  

Check it out here:


I've watched the thing about four times now, and I get more and more excited with each viewing.  I remember the first time I saw the Kill Bill trailer.  My immediate thoughts were, "well, it's QT so you know it will rock...but that looks.....odd'.  Happily, I couldn't have been more right.  Kill Bill is a true homage film, and has since become a classic around these parts.  What I see in this Inglorious Basterds trailer is that same director (QT), taking something you know he loves (violence) and putting it in a realistic setting.  I feel like this will be the first time QT has made a violent movie in the 'real world' - yet, if you watch the trailer, that ain't no 'real world'.  That is QT's version of Hitler, Germany, and what happened in the aftermath.  He's taking six Jews and dropping them behind enemy lines to, literally, 'go kill some Nazi's'.  And, in all honesty, no one could film it better.  The style, the sense of despair, and the overwhelming acts of brutality shine in almost every tiny scene.  Heck, even Brad Pitt calls for scalps!  Bring it on, QT!  And keep bringing it on!

Next up is Travolta and Denzel's newest:


There's a few things that REALLY bother me about this trailer.  First off - watch closely the opening scene with Travolta and the beard and the glasses and the hat.  THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE TRAVOLTA!  And I LOVE it!  But, obviously done for recoginition - they have Travolta take the hat and glasses off once aboard the train.  Painful, because in those moments as he walks aboard, he truly looks like one scary, badass dude.  Which Travolta can't really pull off being Travolta.  It's like Wesley Snipes in the Blade series.  As soon as the sunglasses come off, he's just Snipes again and he looks out of place.  The audience recognition kicks in and we're immediately taken out of the context of the film.  Now, I won't be watching this scary, intimidating hostage taker taking over the subway line.  I'll be watching Travolta.  This film looks mostly decent and I'm willing to forgive some of the problems with the trailer simply because it's directed by Tony Scott, who last collaborated with Denzel on Man on Fire.  That film is one of my favorite films in the last ten years, so it's nice to see them working together.  However, Denzel is certainly no Creasey here, which is highly disappointing.  I'm looking forward to seeing a second trailer for this, in hopes it will explain 1)why Travolta took over a subway train (seems stupid and easy for the cops to solve) and 2)why Denzel needs to get on it.  Other than those things, it looks entertaining..  Oh, and please, Travolta, stick with the R.  You're so much better in R...

And lastly we had this show up:


I still have no idea what to think of this movie.  The Pineapple Express trailers is historic as is, and this is a bit of a let down in comparison.  However, Pineapple Express was a film that was mediocre, better upon additional viewings, so maybe this will be the opposite of that.  I'm not really a big fan of Anna Farris, but she looks somewhat funny here.  I'm much more excited about I Love You, Man - but Seth Rogen certainly makes a darn funny trailer.

Enjoy!!

No comments: